IMPORTANT NOTICE ON NEW RESTRICTIONS RELATED TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
- Since the Government of Japan designated Novel Coronavirus (AKA COVID-19) as "Designated Infectious Disease" under the Infectious Diseases Act of Japan, foreign nationals who are deemed as patients of Novel Coronavirus shall be denied permission to land in Japan pursuant to Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act of Japan. As the Government of Japan also designated Novel Coronavirus as“Quarantinable Infectious Diseases” under Quarantine Act of Japan, foreign nationals who are suspected of being afflicted with Novel Coronavirus would be ordered to be quarantined with no exception for valid visa holders.
- The Government of Japan also decided on 07 Mar. 2020 (*) that for the time being, those who fall under the three categories below are not permitted to land in Japan unless there are exceptional circumstances.
- Foreign nationals who have travelled within 14 days before arriving in Japan to
- Hubei/Zhejiang Province in People's Republic of China
- Daegu/Gyeongsangbuk-do (Cheongdogun/Gyeongsan-si/Andong-si/Yeongcheon-si/Chilgok-gun/Uiseonggun/Seongju-gun/Gunwi-gun) in the Republic of Korea
- Lombardia/Veneto/Emilia=Romagna/Marche/Piemonte/Liguria/Aosta Valley/ Trentino=Alto Adige/ Friuli Venezia Giulia in the Italian Republic
- Republic of San Marino (all around)
- Republic of Iceland (all around)
- Canton of Ticino/ Canton of Basel Stadt in Swiss Federation
- Autonomous Community of Navarre/Madrid Region/ Basque Country/ La Rioja in Kingdom of Spain
- Foreign nationals who hold a passport issued by the Hubei/Zhejiang Province
- Foreign Nationals aboard a passenger ship which sails for the purpose of entering Japanese port and carries a risk of being afflicted by an outbreak of Novel Coronavirus infectious disease.
- Based on the “Principle Criteria of Visa Issuance”, visa applications of those who fall under the categories being not permitted to land in Japan are not accepted. Visa applicants are required to fill in and submit questionnaires (attached) on whether or not they have (or will have) travelled to the countries and regions mentioned above
- Please note that even those foreign nationals who retain valid entry visa of Japan would not be permitted to land in Japan if they fall under the categories mentioned in 1 and 2 above.
- Any false declaration in the questionnaires will be subject to refusal of visa issuance, and then new visa application will not be accepted for six months for the same purpose of visit. The visa will be made null and void when such false declaration is revealed after the visa is issued.
- Any false declaration upon landing in Japan may be subject to punitive measures including imprisonment, imposition of fine, revoking of residential status as well as deportation from Japan.